Thursday 4 February 2016

117-119 - Wirral, Halton and Warrington - 30th July 2015

The area around Manchester and Liverpool is full of highpoints to visit so I decided to start ticking those off while combining it with a visit to see a friend who lives in the area. Robin is a fellow entertainer and marathon runner, he lives not too far from Chester so I made plans with him, he offered to give me a lovely guided tour of the city.





Chester really is a lovely place, Robin took me on a walking tour to see all the highlights including the walls, the cathedral, the Roman amphitheatre & gardens and the River Dee. We made use of the park and ride which was an excellent service and spent several hours in the city. The Cathedral was amazing and well worth a visit, they had a themed walk around the buildings based upon the stories of Alice in Wonderland. Away from the cathedral I really liked one of the foot bridges over the River Dee, it was a suspension bridge and was very photogenic. The visit to Chester was finished with a nice cake and cup of tea in the top floor cafe in Debenhams.

Poll Hill
The first of my 3 high points we to be found in the Wirral, I can't say that any of the high points in the area are phenomenal and the Wirrel is the least exciting of the 3 as it was basically a footpath and small green area in a residential part of the area. This was called Poll hill and was 108 meters above sea level.

Halton Castle
Next up was a short drive to Halton, this high point was a little bit more impressive as there was a ruined castle here, it was not as high as the Wirrel however it did have a better view over towards Liverpool, At 100 mtrs Halton Castle was the highest point of Halton.

Another short drive and I was now in Warrington, this one was a tough one as the highest point was situated in the middle of a private gold course, I tried to find a way to get to it however it was not looking good to I drove around and eventually got as close as I good with another lovely view over towards Liverpool, this one was called Appleton Park and at 105 mtrs it is the highest point of Warrington.

Appleton Park
So that is 3 more high points ticked off and although they were not too exciting I did manage to get a great guided tour of Chester, Thanks Robin.

No comments:

Post a Comment